Since colleges have a highly competitive admission applicant pool, therefore college recommendation letters hold considerable weight in their admission decisions. Generally, colleges look for applicants who have and are capable enough to make an impact in future. This is the reason why a college recommendation letter is so important. Besides an applicant’s own self advocacy, some of his or her impressive qualities and traits can be highlighted properly in a well written recommendation letter.
A college recommendation letter is a document in which the writer appraises the abilities, competitive qualities, skills, characteristics, capabilities, and achievements of a student being recommended in terms of his or her capability to get higher education in a particular college. The letters can be written by anyone, such as teachers, a principal, guidance counselors, or a head of the department.
Although it is a great honor if a student asks you to write a college recommendation letter for them, however, it is also very weighty because your letter might play a major role in determining whether this person gets admission in the college of their choice and fulfills their dreams. Because of this reason, it is important to write a strong and influential college recommendation letter. For this, you need to follow a few guidelines to ensure that you have an effective and properly formatted recommendation letter.
The first thing you need to do before writing a recommendation letter is to make sure that you know the student for whom you are writing the letter. But in case you don’t know him or her in person, it is better to ask the student to give a list of their extracurricular activities with the copy of their transcript, which will assist you to reference key particulars and details in your letter.
Start the letter with the standard title, i.e. “To Whom It May Concern”. State the name of the student you are recommending in the very first line. Then, write briefly about how long you have known him or her and in what context. Be specific in the body of a letter. You can state specific examples of the student’s personal qualities, interest and knowledge of a particular subject, his or her relationship with teachers and other students, as well as his or her dedication to work hard and get higher education. Also, do explain why you think that their college is a good fit for this student, and how he or she might grow from the college experience.
After writing the letter, make sure to proofread it for spelling, formatting or grammar mistakes because poor formatting, grammar mistakes, and wrong spellings can ruin all of your effort of writing an effective recommendation letter, despite having a good and compelling content.
In short, opt for giving a detailed sketch of the student, his or her achievements in academic career and his or her general characteristics. Follow the above mentioned guidelines, and your recommendation letter will surely be able to stand out from the crowd, which will eventually lead your student to get admission in the college of his or her choice.
Here is preview of a Free Sample College Recommendation Letter created using MS Word,
Here is download link for this College Recommendation Letter,
Download College Recommendation Letter.
Related Sample Letters
- Recommendation Letter for Nursing School A document in which the writer appraises the skills, abilities, competitive qualities, characteristics, capabilities, and achievements of an individual being recommended in terms of that person’s talent to get higher education in particular college is named a recommendation letter. It is often known as a letter of reference, letter of recommendation, reference letter, or just […]
- Recommendation Letter for a Friend In this highly competitive world, it is a fact that companies, organizations, and institutions have a highly competitive applicant pool. Generally, they look for applicants who have a good character and who are capable enough to make a strong and positive impact in the future. This makes a recommendation letter so important. Besides an applicant’s own self advocacy, some of his/her […]
- Scholarship Recommendation Letter Innumerable scholarships are introduced and awarded to individuals every now and then. The basic aim of these scholarships is to encourage, support and facilitate students to get or complete education. Those individuals who want to get higher education or want to complete their college education, but are unable to afford the high fees, can apply for a scholarship. In addition, students […]
- Sample Field Trip Permission Letter (For Professional Experts) A letter that allows an individual employee or a team of employees to conduct a field trip is known as the field trip permission letter. Just like a school field trip when the teacher is required to ask the head of the institution for the permission of an education field trip for the students, the employees of a company are also required to ask for permission before conducting any kind […]
- Student Admission Letter Admission letter is such an important document that is written to students of school, colleges and universities by the administration department of institute when they got admission in institute. This letter can be said a piece of information and welcome to be sent to students at taking admission in institute. Like other letters and documents, it stands in professional documentations […]
- Internship Letter If you are going to apply for a nutritional internship after some time, you should learn how a professional letter to be added with your application. It has been observed that many students cannot interpret their experiences while writing a letter that may show the actual worth of their personality and prove them great students. If you are in search of exploring guidelines for this […]
- Sample Letter of Resolution A Resolution Letter, its content and format vary according to the main purpose behind doing this effort. There is much difference between a corporate resolution letter and a death resolution letter. In spite of this fact, there are a number of common elements which are used in almost all the resolution letters frequently.
You cannot overlook the drafting of a resolution letter as […]
- Farewell Letter When you change your present position or place, it is foremost obligation on your part to write a farewell letter having the tinge of softness and heart-warmth in order to tender good bye to your close friends, Akins or loved ones. Usually a farewell letter is written on the occasion when you are having graduation from college, when you are changing your job and even when have to leave […]
- Leave Application Letter Drafting leave application letter is literally important to get leave from your office or workplace. There may be several reasons for taking leave from your workplace and you are bound to tell and inform authority for taking leave and making this process professional like. Taking leave without writing application letter would be considered as absence from workplace and this is surely […]
- Job Inquiry Letter Most of the time, when you apply for a job in a company, they let you know about their decision in time but sometimes, you have to pursue the application and find out if they are considering your application or you need to move on. This is where a job inquiry letter comes handy. Usually when you send the job application letter, you have to wait at least 8-10 days before asking for any […]